Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Addressing negativity. . .

I've noticed two distinct reactions from people when they learn that I'm getting married.
  1. They're happy and congratulate me, or they're
  2. pessimistic and sarcastic.

The latter of the two is generally from single (divorced), middle-aged Black men. Their responses generally range from cynicism to full-blown negativity. The typical reaction I get is:

::siiiiigh::, followed by a wide-eyed "Man, you SURE???"

Absolutely.

I find myself taking the high road in this type of situation by not biting when baited. They're looking for a sign of doubt to exploit. You'll find none here.

Just to set the record straight: I am completely happy with my bride to be, and thoroughly excited about our life together. From this point on, I should just not reply to that crap; I'll just redirect them to this post.

Happy 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment